Building & Administration
To enhance the structure of the Chamber and to assist staff in the area of finance and administration. Promote the attraction and retention of businesses. Visioning for the Chamber
- Building Maintenance & Insurance – Care and maintenance of the Chamber Office Building and ensuring all insurances are in place. Responsible for the purchase and servicing of office supplies and equipment as well as giving guidance to staff re proper office procedures.
- By-Law Review
- Strategic Plan
Responsible for obtaining and monitoring membership in the Temiskaming Shores & Area Chamber of Commerce through personal contact or a concerted membership drive to increase members. The committee should be aware that even though membership invoices are sent out annually from the office, non-renewals should be followed up by a personal contact.
Health Care & Northern Ontario Issues
Member of Doctor’s Recruitment and Retention Committee through Temiskaming Hospital
Member of Local Northern Ontario School of Medicine Group (NOSM) – usually Business Manager
Communication & Public Relations
- Present positive perspective of the Chamber of Commerce to the community via media, eg. radio, television, print.
- Be aware of openings, expansions, anniversaries, special events of local businesses and acknowledge those with congratulations from the Chamber of Commerce.
- Help with the promotion and advertising of special events
Business & Economic Development
Maintain liaison with municipalities and other community partners to explore and promote economic development in the various sectors.
- Agriculture, Forestry, Mining
- Temiskaming Shores Development Corporation
- Manufacturing & Industrial
- Rural Sustainability
- Retail – Consumer awareness through advertising, contests, special promotions or events to help increase retail sales throughout the Temiskaming Shores area. Always be on the lookout for new projects to aid the retail sector. Cooperate with BIA New Liskeard, Ambassador Training. Deal with Provincial, Federal & Municipal Governments re: change in by-laws or retail taxes.
- Student Bursaries
- Education & Skills Development. – This committee represents the Chamber on any issue regarding education or training. These may be issues that Chamber has been approached with, or issues the Chamber has taken the initiative on. Appropriate procedure may include contact with educational institutions, business, industry, the Ministry of Education or the municipality; always focusing on the fact that education should assist in the improvement of the state of commerce.
- Promotion of the local Tourism assets and work with partners and stakeholders to promote the area
- Bring information to the Board of Directors of any advertising requests regarding brochures, maps, etc. being published on the Temiskaming Shores & South Temiskaming area.
- Be aware that the Chamber Tourist Information Booth is staffed and functioning properly.
Special Event Co-ordination
- Responsible for raising funds to assist with the financial obligations of the Chamber of Commerce.
- This committee has the task of organizing and implementing at least one major, or several minor events of the year.
- The fundraisers can be established annual events such as the Radio Auction, Annual Dinner, etc. however, this committee is responsible for originating new ideas when an event starts to lose its popularity.
- Business 2 Business – Organize regular Business 2 Business or “After Hours” functions to promote local businesses. Create an atmosphere for members to learn about products and services offered by member companies, while mingling and socializing. Arrange for refreshments, tours and advertising of events.
Government Relations & Chambers of Commerce
- This committee is the channel through which the Chamber approaches or is approached by the various levels of governments or its representatives.
- Contact with our MP and MPP.
- Host functions for government representatives visiting the area, eg. Cabinet ministers touring with groups considering investment in the North.
- Coordinate Municipal, Federal or Provincial Candidates nights as needed.
- Act as liaison with the Canadian Chamber of Commerce.